Does your dog eat like there is no tomorrow? Does your dog finish up his food just moments after you put his food down? Does your dog gulp down food without chewing it first? It may seem fantastic to see your dog having a good appetite, but this may result in many consequences that are not good for your dog. Dogs that eat too fast may seem normal and great to watch, but it is better to stop a dog from eating too fast because it is unhealthy and may cause concerns in the future. There are many steps on how to stop a dog from eating too fast, but first, let us tackle why this happens to dogs and know what are the complications if we don’t stop a dog from eating too fast.
Why is a dog eating too fast?
- Domestic dogs eat too fast because of their genes, that is because their ancestors are the wolves. Wolves are hunters in the wild and are hunting for a prey to eat. A wolves’ prey is not readily available, so wolves do not get to eat every day. They go many days without food and when they do have one, they eat as if they won’t be able to eat again. Some domestic dogs still have this in their genes and are still eating like this.
Domestic dogs eat too fast because of their genes, that is because their ancestors are the wolves
- Some dogs have a past of being starved especially those that are abandoned. They are malnourished and don’t have anything to eat for a long time. Those dogs tend to eat too fast because they are afraid that they will not eat again and became so possessive over their food.
- Another reason is that some dogs live with other dogs and animals. Food rivalry is also present in dogs. They eat fast to protect their food from being taken away by other animals. They will feel the need to eat fast as it is their way to keep their food safe and secured by being inside their bellies.
Dogs eat fast to protect their food from being taken away by other animals
What are the complications if we don’t stop a dog from eating too fast?
- Dog bloat or Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus. Bloat happens when the stomach of a dog is filled with gas, food or fluid that is making the stomach expand. The stomach puts pressure on the other vital organs and it can cause a harder time of breathing to the dog, shock, no blood circulation to the dog’s heart, a tear in the wall of the dog’s stomach and if left untreated may cause the dog’s death. This serious condition occurs when we don’t stop a dog from eating too fast.
- Choking. If we fail to stop a dog from eating too fast, then choking will most likely occur to a dog when the dog is not careful. Choking can be life-threatening when the dog cannot cough up the food.
If your dog eats too fast, he/she easily encounter dangers like choking, regurgitation
- Regurgitation. The dog’s stomach cannot keep so much food at once when the dog eats too fast and too much. Regurgitation happens when the dog brings the food back up before being digested. It is better to stop a dog from eating too fast to help the dog have a pleasant feeling after eating.
- Dental issues. Many dental problems occur when the dog is swallowing the food and not chewing it. Chewing the food helps remove plaque and tartar on the dog’s teeth. When the dog is not chewing his food, plaque and tartar is present and can cause many dental problems to the dog.
How to stop a dog from eating too fast?
- Feed your dog with small meals throughout the day. Instead of giving your dog two big meals a day, give your dog four or more small meals with the same intervals a day. Giving small meals regulates the amount of food the dog can wolf down at a time. Small meals is a good and smart way to stop a dog from eating too fast and too much.
To stop your dog from eating too fast, you can give him/her some small meals per day
- Add an obstacle to your dog’s bowl while feeding. Putting an obstacle can limit the food that your dog is able to swallow. The obstacle can add difficulties to your dog as the dog can only take limited food due to the hindrance being offered by the obstacle. You can put anything that the dog cannot swallow and eat like a big rock and a big ball. Obstacles in the food can stop a dog from eating too fast.
- Spread the food by using various kinds of bowls. You can feed your dog to various bowls to limit the amount of food that your dog can eat. You can use a muffin pan and spread the food throughout the muffin pan. Instead of giving your dog a compact food that your dog can swallow in one motion, you can spread the food so that your dog can only swallow lesser amounts at a time. Spreading the food helps stop a dog from eating too fast.
You can use a muffin pan and spread the food throughout the muffin pan
- Feed your dog by using your hand. Your dog will only be able to eat the amount of food that is in your hand. It also regulates the time your dog can swallow as it is to your liking when you let your dog eat when he is ready and not greedy. This can also enhance your bonding time together.
- Feed your dogs by separating them to different corners of your place. This can help prevent the food rivalry between your dogs and animals. Making them eat separately can ease the fear that their food will be stolen. It also helps them become relax while eating, making them careful and not eating too fast.
Those are some ways that can help stop a dog from eating too fast. Stopping your dog from eating too fast can help your dog become healthy. Your dogs can develop a good behavior towards eating their food, making them become more disciplined and careful. Eating slowly can help them digest their food well and helping them avoid future complications that are life-threatening.