TOP 10 Poisonous and Dangerous Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

TOP 10 Poisonous and Dangerous Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

3,368
11:10:00 17/10/2017

 

                   

5/5 (1 voted)

Dogs are Man’s Best friend/Buddy, and that’s why they are one of the sweetest pets a human can have. They are very important to us so we must take good care of them, especially through managing the food that they eat. Being man’s best friend doesn’t mean they can eat anything just as their owners do. There are a lot of foods you probably didn’t know about that can be very dangerous for your dog’s health. It is prudent that we know the things a dog should never eat as early as possible before anything gets worse.

Listed below are the Top 10 things a dog should never eat:

Chocolate, coffee, and caffeine

Many dog owners are already aware that chocolate is one of the things a dog should never eat. It contains caffeine and theobromine. To broaden up our knowledge, chocolate, coffee, and caffeine all contain substances called methylxanthines which are very dangerous to our pets. Methylxanthines can lead to vomiting and diarrhea, heart issues, and sometimes even death. Take note that the “darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is” because it contains more methylxanthines and is more toxic.

Chocolate, coffee, and caffeine all contain substances called methylxanthines which are very dangerous to our pets

Milk and other dairy products

Yes, we all know that puppies drink milk from their mother right after they were born. However, we probably didn’t know that it’s included in the things that a dog should never eat as they can also suffer from lactose intolerance. It causes diarrhea and other digestive problems. The also can lead to food allergies which can cause itchiness. According to research, the disadvantages of consuming milk will not immediately affect your dog but over time, could lead to serious illness.

Onions and garlic

Keep them away from your dog. Onions can damage and kill the red blood cells causing anemia. Eating a lot of these could be the reason why your dog moves around less. Signs are weakness, vomiting and breathing problems. Garlic is more dangerous compared to onions. It contains compounds that is more toxic. Your dog’s urine will also appear dark red.

Onions and garlic can damage and kill the red blood cells causing anemia

Grapes and Raisins

While you’re on the couch watching television and eating some grapes and raisins and your dog seems like “I also want some,” don’t ever feed it. Be cautious because grapes and raisins are also listed in the things that a dog should never eat. Instead, think of another treat to give because excessive consumption of grapes and raisins can lead to kidney failure. Even just a small amount can make your dog sick. Vomiting, lack of appetite and dehydration are one of the early signs that we must observe.

Excessive consumption of grapes and raisins can lead to kidney failure

Salt and salty snack foods

We, humans, enjoy eating salty foods, especially when we’re under a lot of stress. Some dog owners also feed their pets as if they’re their drinking buddy. You must know that these are another one of the things that a dog should never eat. When you give your dog excessive salty foods, he/she might suffer from intense thirst and urination which not only leads to dehydration but, in some cases, even sodium ion poisoning in pets. Vomiting, Diarrhea, Depression, Elevated body temperatures, tremors, and in some of the more extreme cases, death are some of the symptoms of sodium ion poisoning. It can also cause a change in the fluid balance of cells that will lead to coma and seizures.

When you give your dog excessive salty foods, he/she might suffer from intense thirst and urination

Xylitol

We all do love sweet foods like candies, gum and other baked goods since we were children. However, we didn’t know that its main ingredient is “xylitol” which can cause your dog’s blood sugar to plummet, which leads to liver failure. Liver failure can happen within just a few days.

Raw Meat, Fish, and Egg

Like us, humans eating raw fish and meat are harmful to dogs. It contains a parasite that causes fish disease or salmon poisoning disease. Nothing to worry too much because it’s treatable but get help right away. Signs are vomiting, fever and big lymph nodes. Raw eggs, on the other hand, contain an enzyme “avidin” that decreases the absorption of Vitamin B. We must be aware that this is another of those things that a dog should never eat because there’s a chance of food poisoning from bacteria like salmonella or E-coli.

Raw fish and meat contain parasites that are harmful to your dog

Dogs should also never be given any medicines without the prescription from a doctor. Lack of proper knowledge can lead to more serious health problems and will cause more trouble. Keep your dogs away from any medicine and put these medicines in a safe place out of the reach of dogs.

Alcohol

Humans enjoy drinking alcohol. But never give or feed it to your dog as it will cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, problems with coordination coma and death.

As dog lovers, we don’t want to lose our pets because they give us so much happiness when we are lonely and depressed. They give so much more joy in our home. So, we must be very careful about the things that a dog should never eat. Remember, Prevention is better than cure!