Having a dog is a lot of responsibility especially when they get sick. As an owner, you can really sense that your dog is sick or unwell by his/her behavior.When your dog is not feeling well, he/she refuses to eat no matter what you will give to him/her. But there is a technique and sick food that you can feed your dog for him/her to eat. Here are some tips or methods on what to feed to your sick dog.
If your dog refuses the food that you give to them, you could try changing his/her diet. By giving him/her something special, he/she might be encouraged to eat. You should also check the illness that your dog has. You should try to give him/her bland foods when he/she has diarrhea, nausea, or when he/she is vomiting. Note that fatty foods are not good for your dog when he/she has an illness. When giving him/her food when he/she is sick, make sure that you give it in small portions. Feeding him/her one or two teaspoons every hour is a trick for him to eat. Also, let your dog eat grass, it is a dog’s instinct to eat grass when they are not feeling well. Digesting grass is nature’s way of cleansing the system of your dog and purging out toxins. So here is the list of what to feed your dog when he/she is sick.
When your dog is sick, try to give him/her something special, he/she might be encouraged to eat
- Chicken and Rice are the most common ingredients in a dog food. This kind of food is good for your dog’s upset stomach because this is a mild food. To prepare this type of food, you need to have boneless or skinless chicken breast and rice. The most recommended rice is the brown rice because it has a high nutritional value compared to white rice. Note that you need to cook the chicken thoroughly and cut it into small pieces.
- Bone Broth is food that you need to feed to your dog when he/she is sick. This food is a very mild liquid meal that easily soothes an upset stomach. To prepare this kind of food, all you need to do is fill a pot with any meat bones with plenty of joints. Cover the bones with two to three inches of water and cook it for six to twelve hours.
Bone broth is a very mild liquid meal that easily soothes an upset stomach
- Sweet Potato can also be a good food for your sick dog because it is full of vitamins and it is high in fiber. Fiber can help regulate your dog’s intestine. To prepare this food, peel the sweet potato before cooking it.
- Pumpkin contains same nutrients as sweet potato. It is high in fiber that helps regulate the digestive system of your dog. To prepare this food, peel it first before cooking it and don’t add any seasoning. It will help sooth the digestive track of your dog.
- Vegetables. When your dog is not feeling well, feed him/her vegetables because vegetables have a lot of natural nutrients. And also, keep him/her hydrated by giving him/her a plenty of water. Remember that vomiting increases the likelihood of dehydration. Add a lot of soup to help ingest more liquids. Additionally, most vegetables are also rich in Fiber which help in easing an upset digestive track.
When your dog is not feeling well, feed him/her vegetables because vegetables have a lot of natural nutrients
Techniques for serving the Food
You can also try changing the method on how to feed your dog. Remember not to force your dog to eat his/her food. You should wait for him/her to eat his/her food because forced eating will lead to vomiting. Second, try to feed your dog in a new room that your dog is comfortable in. Breaking his/her routine may help make him/her eat. Lastly, introduce the food to your dog by feeding him/her using your hand. You can dip your fingers into the canned goods and offer it up to his/her mouth and wait for him/her to taste it. Always remember not to force your dog to eat. When your dog eats the food that you offer, you should give him/her praise for that. Praising him/her while he eats the food that you offer encourages him/her to start eating again.
Remember not to force your dog to eat his/her food. You should wait for him/her to eat his/her food because forced eating will lead to vomiting
Now that you know what to feed your dog when he/she is sick, it’ll be much easier for your dog to recover. Remember that if a dog has eaten something wrong, the body will try to remove all food from the body before accepting new food. So do not immediately go crazy when your dog skips one meal. When your dog, however, doesn’t eat for two days, even when applying the tips enumerated in this article, it is time to seek professional help and visit the nearest veterinary clinic. Your veterinarian may be able to identify why your dog is acting that way and prescribe some medication.